DR1er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 640i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipSauls View Post
The E70 35d has the old M57 engine with a dual turbo setup to reduce lag, one small one for lower revs and a larger one for higher revs. It's not a "twin turbo" despite the TwinPower naming that BMW uses. The F15 35d is using a newer N57 engine, which in reality will be more akin to the ROW 30d with added urea injection for US emissions regulations. This engine uses a single variable geometry turbo, and is likely to be similar to the Cayenne in terms of response and (lack of) lag.

I suspect the Cayenne also gets some of its feel from the 8 speed transmission, while the E70 has been "stuck" with a lowly 6 speed. It appears that BMW developed the N57 with the 8 speed transmissions in mind, but there was no practical way to retrofit the old M57. Some have tried to excuse the E70 35d by claiming that it is perfectly matched to the 6 speed, but there is little doubt that 8 speeds are better, and some manufacturers are gearing up for 9 or more!

One area that I haven't seen covered is the noise that the F15 35d will make, as the diesel clatter is often brought up in comparisons with other diesel SUVs. I have had numerous occupants in my 35d who are amazed when I tell them it's a diesel, as most of them associate diesels with heavy duty trucks and clunkers from the 80's. While I don't mind the engine noise, I "get it" that some would prefer it to be as quiet as the MB, VAG, and Fiat competition.
Very good points! I also investigated some time ago what that "twinpower turbo" means and found out that it is as you explain: a single turbo with a twin-scroll setup. Nothing wrong about it, but many people interpret it as a twin turbo and surely BMW is very happy about that

The transmission in the Cayenne is also very smooth and changes gears real quick and when driving "normally", it will keep you in the upper gears at relative low speeds, which contributes a lot to very good mileage.

After my previous post it came to my mind that we haven't discussed about the engine noise and the fact that it is also a big difference between the E70 and the Cayenne Diesel. Of all the diesels I have driven, the Cayenne is the quieter (even quieter than the small Mercedes GLK Bluetec). But still I'm looking forward to the F15 x35D and all the gadgets the new X5 brings. As for the engine clatter: that's nothing a good sound system can't solve

Basically the Cayenne is a very solid all around vehicle which has the advantage of it's brand name. To my liking it is missing in the tech part, which is a very important factor for me. But of course, it is impossible to keep 100% of the people 100% happy, so there will always be some kind compromise.
Appreciate 0