10-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #69
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsblackmon View Post
How are the newer run flats, in general? Back in '07, my wife had an '08 330i w/ run flats. In addition to the horrible ride, they couldn't hold air. My test drive of the M sport F15 was pretty comfortable and w/ little road noise. Can anyone comment on durability of run flats in the last 4 yrs?
I've had them on my wife's X3 for just over 2 years, 22k miles and on my F30 for about 10 months/17k miles and have had no issues with either. They're pricey to replace, but seem to absorb potholes just fine. Not sure if this is the extra sidewall, but neither car has terribly large sidewalls, nor are they the most low profile, 18's on both cars. The X3 has a fair amount of sidewall (245/50/18), a little less on the F30 (225-45-18). I absolutely hate the 225's when I look at my 335 from behind, but I've put 17,000 miles on it in less than a year driving for work, so it's taken plenty of potholes going over the GW bridge to Jersey and back every day. So I can't imagine how many wheels I would have replaced with a more aggressive set up.

I also had a screw in one tire on the X3 that I probably could have gotten away without replacing. It was right through the tire, not a sign of a leak for at least a month or so after I noticed it, plus however long it was there before I knew about it.. Replaced it anyway, around $375 from BMW (not much cheaper from tire rack).
Appreciate 0