View Single Post
      10-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #70
marsblackmon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '08 550i & '14 F15 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
I've had them on my wife's X3 for just over 2 years, 22k miles and on my F30 for about 10 months/17k miles and have had no issues with either. They're pricey to replace, but seem to absorb potholes just fine. Not sure if this is the extra sidewall, but neither car has terribly large sidewalls, nor are they the most low profile, 18's on both cars. The X3 has a fair amount of sidewall (245/50/18), a little less on the F30 (225-45-18). I absolutely hate the 225's when I look at my 335 from behind, but I've put 17,000 miles on it in less than a year driving for work, so it's taken plenty of potholes going over the GW bridge to Jersey and back every day. So I can't imagine how many wheels I would have replaced with a more aggressive set up.

I also had a screw in one tire on the X3 that I probably could have gotten away without replacing. It was right through the tire, not a sign of a leak for at least a month or so after I noticed it, plus however long it was there before I knew about it.. Replaced it anyway, around $375 from BMW (not much cheaper from tire rack).

Yeah, coming off the top deck of the GWB into NY is very reminiscent of London, circa 1940's, after the German's carpet bombing campaign... I've learned to just be patient as I make my way to 95...

And thanks for your thoughts on the above... I know the tire tech has improved in the last several years, but it's nice to hear how real world drivers have gotten on since the earlier stages of run flats...

M
Appreciate 0