02-24-2014, 04:21 PM   #28
Jenya B
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: Z4 , X5 F15d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipforia View Post
I live in So cal. Pretty similar to Florida in regards to weather. I went with xDrive. As matter of fact, if I can avoid getting a two wheel drive ever again, I would - in any vehicle.

I use to drive an Audi S5. It Quattro technology saved my butt many time while it was raining (I believe Florida gets hurricanes?). I wasn't racing or going excessively fast. The car just felt more stable and planted. Handling was better and predictable, and no wheel slip, even at severe wetness. When I drove my friends 2 wheel drive Highlander, this was not the case.

Also, X5 xDrive is not a 4x4. It's AWD. There is a difference. In a nutshell, 4x4 is for off-roading. AWD is for increased stability control. This is why you don't ever see X5 going head to head against Range Rovers. As matter of fact, BMW knows this and calls their X cars SAVs, and not SUVs. You can't group AWD and 4x4 together. I would certainly never go off-roading with my S5.

My wife and kid will be in my X5, whereas S5 was primarily for me. With that in mind, I chose AWD vehicle again.

Z.
Totally agree with you - STABILITY !

Florida not a whole North America there is bunch of roads or weather condition you need a AWD for a safe driving .
Appreciate 0