08-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #45
14F10MFive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F85 & F95 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0ut3r View Post
About the install

It does not take 1 hour, I watched an experienced mechanic do this and by the time the OBD2 port cable is routed inside and everything is done it took two hours. It was his first X6M but he had done it for 3 series and 5 series vehicles on my occasions.

If I had to do this on my own it would likely take 3 hours and I would break clips and scratch stuff

About taking it in for service

I am going to take it for regular service with map 0 on (JB4 off) and disconnect the BCM from OBD2 but I wouldn't take the entire thing off unless I had a big issue with the car and I wanted to avoid senseless finger pointing (or interfering with the technicians diagnosing work).

If, for example, I blow a turbo I would be honest about having a piggyback and leave it at BMWs discretion to cover it or not; "You play, you pay".

I had an APR stage 3 VW Jetta 2003 back in the day and the tranny blew after 3 years. I was totally honest with the dealer and they replaced it on warranty anyway. Not saying this would always be the case but I would recommend being honest and accountable for one's actions.

After all, misrepresenting the facts (the existence of mods) to gain a financial advantage (the repairs and parts) constitutes fraud to some extent and in most jurisdictions.
Glad to hear you're loving the JB4, like the rest of us! These trucks are putting down some serious power now. All we need now is back end flash to dial them in properly. When tuners do release back end flashes, ill be on that. Then ill be done with modding the truck.
Appreciate 0