View Single Post
      04-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #27
EnI
Secret Agent
Rep
Drives: The Ultimate Joy Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
Can't agree with your view at all. There would be no point to crashing your grafted model- load forces would have no value to the engineers. The two chassis couldn't be any more different.
They can computer simulate just about everything but actual impact results such as where part A will go. The new chassis is in prototyping production so I am fairly certain they would test that. Have we even seen a hydrid E/F chassis mule? That should have occurred a long time ago as that early development is over and was more than likely in a F11 wagon. Just my take but from what I've seen in person I highly doubt these are grafted mules running around.

The mule is obviously not for crash load testing but for hood passenger airbag function tests only: the bag itself, the sensors etc. Therefore only the front is crucial but not the rest of the body.

It's F15 nose "glued" on E70 body & chassis. There rest of the body - apart from the nose - is certainly E70. Even the paint seems different: regular one on the sides, roof, rear ... while the front looks matte to me.

Check the side panels, the roof, the greenhouse ... It's E70. Even the E70-specific plastic side protection trim is there on the doors. And the model badge.

Only the hood & the fascia are form F15. So, only the bonnet styling & the basic shape (not the graphics, though) of headlights, and a part of grille have been revealed. Nothing else. Since everything else is E70.

And it's cheaper to "glue" a F15 nose on E70 for such tests then build another F15 prototype. Cost cutting everywhere where possible.

Appreciate 0