View Single Post
      08-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #12
DuSh
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyantA View Post
Quite the polarized replies! I believe the repairs would have been done at the dealership but would like to confirm.

Yeah, my wife's Acura was in an accident and it's never been the same. That experience is definitely giving me pause.

The other factor I have to consider is the nearest BMW dealership to where I live is 2+ hrs away. Not that there's much warranty left...

So my question is... the vehicle has S5AL Active Protection.

Why did it hit in the first place?
Hey man, let's separate facts from wishful thinking. S5AL won't 100% avoid collisions, it only minimizes the risks. It could be as simple as driver misplaced R with D and instead of backing car hit the grocery shopping wall - and you have a front collision reported and BMW Canada insurance puts a $15k CAD tag on repairs. Could be same situation in a stop and go traffic - when cars come too close - no mitigation system will help 100% avoid accidents.

However, as a general rule majority is right - it's better to avoid such cars if you are not willing to accommodate (be mechanically inclined, need cheapest car possible no matter the risks of breaking down and so on). I can tell from your story you already had a bad experience with Acura and in addition this car is not discounted significantly enough to jump on it. Car looks good and has good options and is a diesel (rare).

As I said IF you can find out details what kind of accident it was, what was repaired, maybe photos - it could be worth checking it out. Heck, my previous BMW dealer in Long-Island charged my sister with $4k for rear brake and rotors replacement lol. $15k CAD - is not much for a leased BMW x5 repair through insurance - that's very likely only cosmetics (bumper, hood, grill and lights assembly, paint, changing airbag control module on passenger seat etc). If you can't get such info and dealer/previous leaser is hesitant to disclose any info - then keep looking for other x5

Also there's a BMW dealer in Kitchener, ON as far as I know
Appreciate 0