View Single Post
      02-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #14
bim_power
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

The Europeans have had diesel for decades and the technology is fairly refined over the years. NA sees diesel in slightly different light, partly because the diesel fuel is more expensive than petrol. But this is offset by the MPG.

Our last X5 we ordered 4.4I. At that time the 3.0I didn't have sufficient power, IMO. We ordered diesel this time to be more greener.(electric on large vehicles just don't work, again IMO) The torque and fuel efficiency are also nice. The x5 cabin is well built so we were not too concerned about the noise. We drove the 535D and liked it a lot... it was responsive and couldn't tell its a diesel. The 2 stage turbo helps with the 8 speed trans.

In response to your inquiry....

1) Maintenance - My mechanic told me that gas engine requires more trips to the shop compared to diesel, overall speaking. Gas engine has smaller problems and occurs more often than diesel. But when diesel breaks, it is more costly and the problem is usually more severe. Diesel burns cooler so less wear/tear, which means longer life. Overall, the less trips to the gas station and MPG should greatly be less expensive than gas engine... for long term ownership... I would not recommend if you are leasing or just want to own it for few years.

2)When the x5 is delivered, I will not opt for the extended service. I have a good relationship with a local mechanic, so no need for extended service. Plus the payout on extended service is low in percentage.

3)From the ML bluetec and E70 D resale standpoint, it is slightly higher over the gas engine counterpart.

Good luck to you.
Appreciate 0