03-22-2017, 05:23 PM   #16
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
You're wrong, and here's why:

to the point where the majority of enthusiasts in that field respect that person.
You would be right when your statement would say the majority of experts.

This is about factual matter, not about what makes good reading for 'enthousiasts' as that doesnt say anything about their intellect.

That writer is a journalist and nowhere near an engineer otherwise he'd write an in dept column. But that's no good reading for 'enthousiasts' as it would require thinking to understand. What makes a good or bad engine is usually a very complicated matter.
If you write that down in a matter that almost everybody can understand... then you're leaving things out.

Take it from someone who knows this firsthand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
Umm, he does ACTUALLY work on cars. His rant comes from his own experience with BMW's tearing them apart and rebuilding them. I'm not saying he isn't hyperbolic and a bit overblown, but he does know of which he speaks.
Then why doesnt he speak of undersquare cylinder setups with high revs (regarding bearings), why doesnt he speak of cam timing/lobe angle (regarding vanos) or speak of specific output, torque curvers etc. Even emissions come in play.
He leaves that out because he doesnt grasp the relationship.
That is not in my book 'he does know of which he speaks'. But maybe I set the bar a bit higher than the average reader.
Says as much about them as about me I guess...

And you can also write this exact same column about any brand. Every car brand has its reliable engine blocks and unreliable engine blocks. But hey, thats boring too.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 03-22-2017 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0