01-23-2022, 07:03 PM   #12
Blue By You
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB X5M F85

Red Line Professional Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
Again, Redline is good oil if vehicle sees track use.
Problem with Redline is high oxidation. It is geared toward extremely high temperatures and track use.
But for people who use car as daily, even if car is pushed hard, there are better oils.
It is not all about Noack. Solubility of oil, cleaning at lower temperatures etc.
Any LL01 (approved, not recommended) will cut it.
But, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40, Motul X-Cess 5W40 are IMO top choices.
But in the end of the day ANY LL01 oil in your local wal mart is excellent choice.
If out of warranty, top pick is Castrol Edge 0W40. Change it every 5-7.5k, call it a day.
Mobil1 0W40 is another excellent choice but I would go Castrol just bcs. has bit lower SAPS.
That is it. Just bcs. it is M model doesn't mean you have to get track oil. Track or race oils are good choice ONLY if car actually sees track.
I stand corrected... I just realized that they have OE approvals too. Their Professional Series 5w40 is LL01 approved. But there are better oils, probably most if not all of the ones you and I have been discussing.

I trust your knowledge of oils. You taught me a lot! I still think the Red Line oil is pretty special after reading about its detergency and oxidation resistance. Seems like they have addressed some of the issues you've been mentioning.

Even if those other things were an issue, I change my oil no less than every 5K miles. I will be tracking my M too, so we'll see.
Appreciate 0