View Single Post
      02-17-2014, 10:05 AM   #12
bradbragg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 sDrive 35i

Exclamation MDX disappoints

I was one of the people in early 2013 that was anxiously awaiting the new 2014 MDX redesign, with plans to buy one when available.

Shortly after they released the new design, I had a chance to evaluate it in person. Here's my take:
1. The external design seems more minivan-like and less sporty than previous versions. Not sure why Acura is going in this direction. Minor negative.
2. It seeeds to drive really well and get good gas mileage. Decent acceleration, low road noise, etc. pleasantly surprised by this. Positive for the MDX
3. Interior fit and finish seemed fine to me. Not as nice as the X5 but certainly not an issue.
4. A little annoying that you are required to purchase the advance model to get the intelligent cruise control. I have this option on my 2006 Infiniti M35 and love it. Other advance features (rear entertainment system, etc.) not needed. That makes it a very expensive option. Annoying but not a deal breaker.
5. The controls and navigation system are atrociously bad. This was the deal breaker for me. AC, radio controls, etc. buried in touch screen menus, laggy response time, grainy camera views, all were too much to accept. I was extremely extremely disappointed in this regard. Read previous post about Cnet review. They hit this on the head.

So, after being disappointed with the MDX, I drove the Infiniti JX and wasn't impressed. Drove the new X5 and was grinning from ear to ear. Heads up display, beautiful center screen and camera views, nice fit and finish were wonderful. I've never owned a German car and am a little hesitant about future maintenance costs (after the included service period) as I tend to own cars a long time and put a lot of highway miles on them, but I'm willing to make the jump. I'm now waiting for inventory to catch up with demand so that a dealer within 250 miles of me will give me a decent deal.

My ex-wife had a 2005 Acura MDX and I really liked it. Acura has really screwed up the control/nav on the new model. X5 a fair bit more expensive than similarly equipped MDX but worth it right now for me.
Appreciate 0