03-21-2019, 01:35 PM   #9
anon1000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantaxp7 View Post
I just got finished with an interesting journey myself. 2014 X5 M-Sport 5.0

First thing I noticed was a loud screeching noise coming from my engine, turned out it was a leak in a hose. My local shop had mentioned these hoses needing to be replaced as they crack over time. We just put shrink tube over for the time being and I was good to go for a few months.

Then after a couple months I got the drive train malfunction. It would come on and go away. After a couple times of feeling aggressive misfires I brought it to the shop to have all the hoses replaced and spark plugs as well...total was around $1,000. Not too bad.

After that work was done it felt OK until I got onto the highway and tried to test to see if my speed was back....misfiring like crazy with the drive train code. Bring it back to the shop and they do a smoke test to see the where I may be losing air, they see the two air intakes are leaking and in rough shape. They were literally cracked. Cost around $200 for parts, came out to around $400. total.

They keep the car overnight, all excited to pick it up...But then they call me and say to get it to BMW asap. The car got so much worse. It wreaked of gas, drive train error, shaking violently. I drove it home as I take all back roads ( and I called BMW to ask if it was ok and they said as long as engine light wasn't flashing) and it was scary. THEN THE THING DIED IN THE MIDDLE OF AN INTERSECTION. I was lucky enough to roll through, turn off the engine and get it going again, half a mile away from my home.

So by now I am terrified. I have it towed to BMW not sure what will come of it. My local shop said it really looks like fuel injectors and luckily there is an extended warranty on those and it would be stupid expensive if not. They also mentioned it may be the two fuel pumps as you mentioned and if it was that then bring it back to them as they can do it much cheaper.

Luckily BMW agreed it was the fuel injectors, replaced them all under warranty so everything was free...

And to just add to the misery, they call me to tell me car is all set, I drive 45 minutes to the BMW dealership, arrive at 4:55, the guy who goes to get my car says "wait a minute" and notices the check engine light is back on.... They say "oh well that won't do, we can't give it to you now. Someone probably forgot to clear the code!" by that time it was 5 pm and the shop was closed....drove 45 minutes back home without my car

Turns out though it wasn't just someone forgetting to clear the code, one of the fuel injectors they put in failed. They fixed, I've had it for 3-4 days now and all feels good again.

Fun times.
I assume your first set of hoses needing replacement were the crankcase ventilation hoses. Would you happen to have the intake tubes part numbers they replaced for you? Not sure how bad they have to be to have a serious issue.

Do the injectors have an extended warranty coverage?
Appreciate 0