View Single Post
      02-07-2024, 10:58 AM   #41
gridworks
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
Galvanic corrosion is when dissimilar metals are in contact with each other. This is not galvanic corrosion.

We had shops in Florida and Wisconsin and stored hundreds of rims as well as many shops tool that didn't make the seasonal travelling with the team, and I have never see corrosion like this after 1 season let alone several seasons.

This looks to be corrosion cause by exposure to something caustic. Ask to look at the inside of the shipping container and see if it shows signs of corrosion. Make sure to look at the floor of the container.

It it does I suspect they stored something like chlorine in the container, it froze (no, not pure chlorine but something like pool shock) and leaked. Then with warming and cooling cycles the humidity in the container rose and it caused the corrosion.
If this was the case, the tires would have been exposed to the same conditions. I wonder if some damage had been done to the tires, hence why they had suggested the tires be replaced despite OP remembering they were still ok.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6731.50