antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetrickerman View Post
UPS is very slow to pay claims because when something gets damaged, they act like scam artists and say that the "declared value" isnt actually insurance unless the item being shipped is professionally packed by UPS or a UPS store.

Honestly, I would tell them that the restocking fee and paypal refund fee is bullshit, and if they dont get your money back you can get a lawyer and sue for your money back plus lawyer fees.

UPS damaged an engine block that I shipped through them and they did not pay me for months up until I filed the paperwork for small claims and they received the notice. Shortly after that I received a check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
UPS absolutely sucks. They are the slowest of the big three by far, and I avoid them like the plague. Sometimes I'm forced to use them however as it's all some companies use, but I'll still generally try other vendors who will either use FedEx or USPS. UPS is like a covered wagon sometimes, it's insane how slow their ground shipping can be at times. Like you, I've also had issues with them with damaged products. Really can't tell you how much I detest that company.

Best of luck in your situation, get ready for a lot of frustration, waiting, phone calls, not being called back, etc.
"UPS is very slow to pay claims because when something gets damaged, they act like scam artists and say that the "declared value" isnt actually insurance unless the item being shipped is professionally packed by UPS or a UPS store"

^ This happened to me as well. Ruined a slightly used, very expensive, home audio amplifier that I sold and shipped via UPS to an individual in Florida. The amp was boxed in the original manufacturers box, with good original foam support. The front and back panel of the amp was 1/2 inch thick aluminum. The heavy duty binding posts attached to the back panel were bent at a 45 degree angle. This thing had to have been dropped from a serious height to do this kind of damage. UPS claimed it was boxed poorly, even though I had pics showing otherwise. They then changed their position to say that since "they or their UPS store didn't box it", they would not pay the claim. I learned after the fact that they basically deny all claims and force you to sue to get paid. It works for them, not for the consumer. Since then, I use the good old USPS AND purchase the insurance. If you purchase postal service insurance in almost all cases they will pay your claim for merchandise damaged in shipment. UPS is now run by the Teamsters Union. YMMV
Appreciate 0