View Single Post
      07-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #49
gplank
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 Sport Utility 35i

Has anyone noticed that the configurator for the X-Line or Luxury Line does not add any wheel well flarings when you spec out the 20" Light alloy Y-Spoke wheels style 451?

That 451 is a staggered setup, with 10 x 20 in the front and super-wide 11 x 20 in the back. For the previous X5, if you order this setup on a non-M-Sport, they'd add black plastic wheel flarings to accommodate the extra width. It would enhance the overall look, giving the X5 a wider, beefier stance from the front and especially the rear. I had this on my 2012 X5.

But the image in the configurator looks like they just add the wheels with no flaring. (See photo, below)

However, if you order the M-Sport option, which has those 451 wheels standard, it adds painted flarings. If you look back and forth between the Luxury or X-line and the M-Sport option, in the image of the X5 you can see how the wheels seem to come out more with the M-Sport, creating a wider stance...and this necessitating the flarings. Whereas with the X-line, the wheels don't stick out more and indeed come in more under the body of the X5.

For me, this makes a big difference in the look. Only thing is, I don't want to pay for an M-Sport option to get it....I would be happy with unpainted flarings...in fact, I liked the look better than the painted ones...and they seemed more durable not being painted.

Also, I'm concerned that the M-Sport comes with a stiffer suspension....and I definitely don't want a harsher ride.

So, can anyone confirm that this all the case, that the wide stance and wheel flarings will only be available on an M-Sport?

Last edited by gplank; 07-31-2013 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0