View Single Post
      08-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #32
expidia
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

We own both the X5 and an Audi Q5.
Audi as mentioned, has definitely a quieter cabin and a plusher ride.
But that plush ride is at a cost of handling when compared to the X5.

And the Q5 is tiny compared to the X5. I have to use a step ladder just to wax the roof of my X5, yet when driving it does not feel huge.

The Audi is also a turbo, but you'd never know it.
One thing I noticed last week when driving the Audi is you can't even compare transmissions. With the X5, you don't even know the tranny is shifting and using the shift for sport mode is smooth and makes an SUV a ball to drive.

Using the Audi's sport mode was cumbersome to get into and feels like they added it as an afterthought because BMW had it already.

Worse part of the Audi is the tranny especially when approaching a light you can feel it downshifting, I'm not saying it's slamming through the gears, but with the X5/X6 you can't notice the shifting unless you are looking to feel it. Maybe the Audi Q7 with their 8 speed tranny is different now.

I'll test drive a 2018 Q7 because I buy my cars a year or two old and I've got another 2.5 years to go, but I doubt that I'd switch to Audi (my wife's current SUV). I'm also not a fan of the Q7 fugly grill. It looks to me like a giant Catfish getting ready to swallow up my boat. I might have to wait for a 2019, if they get rid of that grill.

The Audi (currently owning both) rides and feels like an old man's Mercedes, which is exactly what my Wife was looking for and she knew she found her SUV in the first few seconds that she test drove it . . . she loves it.

But I'm having way too much fun driving the X5 and look forward every day just for a reason to drive my X5 over and above my 10 min each way trips to the office and back.

Yesterday, drove with my boat (only a 15 foot aluminum rig, but still towing 1,600 lbs) and trailer hooked up for the 1.5 hours north to North Lake George in NY. Highway then mountain roads. I had to keep looking back to make sure the boat was still behind me. Had two occasions where I had to pass local YupYup's on the mountain road when the broken lines came up and even with a 1/2 pedal after shifting into sport mode . . . passing with a boat and trailer with this X5 was simply breathtaking.

I even commented to my Wife while on the while highway doing 78 mph with it's stock BMW suspension and even with the added weight of the Invisihitch plus pulling my 1600 lb rig . . . this large SUV felt like it was floating!

Driving my Wife's Audi compared to the X5 . . . not for me. I'm not ready for the depends, just yet.

And to the OP as others have said . . . why are you still lurking here? What kind of reaction do you expect to hear from a forum of mostly proud X5/X6 fanboys?

And with your concern over mileage, enjoy that electric thats surely in your future . . . Buh Bye

Last edited by expidia; 08-28-2017 at 07:37 AM..
Appreciate 0