View Single Post
      01-15-2024, 04:15 PM   #3
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggz View Post
I don't know of 1 specific F85/F86 issues/maintenance thread like some forums have, but you could search and find some threads on common issues.

No year is better than another, 2014-2018. Unless you just consider newer better, but there's barely any differences. There was no LCI model, and the packaging largely remained the same until the final year when BMW combined the Driver's Assistance Package into the Executive Package.

2017 & 2018 models have the updated navigation that includes touchscreen. Wireless charging also became available in 2017 (part of the Executive Package) as well as CarPlay compatibility (standalone $300 option). Other than that, packaging/options were the same each year.

Executive included:
heated steering wheel
soft close doors
rear side window shades
front ventilated seats
heated rear seats (heated fronts are standard)
adaptive LED headlights (xenons are standard)
automatic high beams
HUD
concierge services
wireless charging
wifi hotspot

Driver's Assistance Packaging included:
active blind spot detection
active driving assistant
surround view
lane departure warning

Most X5Ms will have the Executive Package, I've only see a few that didn't. Other standalone options were Bang & Olufsen sound (H/K is standard), rear seat entertainment, parking assistant, 21's (no cost over 20's when ordering new), and night vision pedestrian detection.

The one you posted looks nice, super low miles. I've always thought Caravan's prices were high, and despite the low miles it still seems a bit high? This one has Executive, Driver's Assistance, 21's, and night vision (super rare option). No B&O sound which is fairly common on the F85. Also has the aluminum trace interior trim - most have carbon fiber which people seem to prefer.

Good luck with your search/decision
Thank you so much for this, I was beginning to think no one would respond.

My M2 only has 26K on the clock, and I rarely drive it, so I'm not so worried about maintenance or things and usually go wrong with them because it'll be a while, but with the X5 I'm a bit concerned. Not overly, because I do my own wrenching, but somewhat.

Is there anything I need to look for? Like the water pump issue on the N55 at above 80K miles, or the need for walnut blasting because of DI? I don't want to buy a car that has been dumped because it needs a lot of maintenance unless I know what it needs and can buy accordingly.

Any obvious things to look for there or be aware of that are expensive or difficult as the mileage gets to 80K?
Appreciate 0