View Single Post
      04-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #25
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I used to run/race these things back in the late 80's/early 90's on national and european championship level. Great fun but (back then) pretty expensive.
It must have come a long way with lithium batteries and brushless motors.
When I was toying around even nickel metalhydride batteries were years away (we all used the good old nicd ones....7,2V and a whopping 1300mah per pack )

But its a great way to learn vehicle dynamics as aspects like camber, caster, toe, stiffer/weaker arb's, springs and shock oil are fairly easily changed (on the more competition oriented models) and you definately feel the difference in control of the vehicle.
I'd love to start racing again but it takes up so much time, travelling to the different circuits, car prep/testing etc etc (I used to struggle for cash.... now I struggle for time)

Cars that I had that/ran in competition (all 1:10 electro off road, which was very popular at the time) that I can remember
4wd
Schumacher CAT XL (when that car came out, it was like something from the future)
CAT 2000 (successor of the xl)
Kyosho optima mid? something?

2wd
Schumacher topcat
schumacher cougar (succesor)
Associated RC10 (somehow not my favorite)
Kyosho ultima something....

Plus a few more leisure oriented cars (some kind of jeep and some monster truck), but my heart was with off road racing.

I remember that around the time when I quit the hobby, a brand like traxxas just came looking as a cost alternative quality car. They have come far I see.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 04-11-2017 at 03:26 PM..
Appreciate 2
Axius4202.00
P111572.00