06-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #42
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
I'm an audiophile, I have a listening room with sound dampening and bass trapping in my house. The HK system is noticeably better than stock. The BO system is even better, but the cost is out of this world. You'll get much better than the BO for less money if you take the car to a custom shop and have them install new speakers/amps and a high end subwoofer. For me, the BO system, while nice, is just too much money for what you get, if it was 1500 bucks, I would have gotten it. But 4-5K? For that price, you better have bass that can shake the house when your parked in the garage coupled with incredibly powerful, clean, clear and crisp highs. The BO system has good (not great) highs, but the bass is simply not up to par for that kind of money. You need a big woofer (10-12") and serious power (500-1500 watts) to really shake the earth with a sound system.

If you want the best, get the BO and take it to a custom shop and have them drop a W7 in the back. Or, for a huge step down in price, get the HK system and take that to a custom shop for a W7 install. That'll crush the BO system for visceral experience and most people won't notice the lack of some midrange punch.

Or, if you really want to go all out, get the stock system, take it to a custom shop and have them do it up. New speakers all the way around, amps for everything, and a W7 in the back. Probably 3-5K and I'll absolutely humiliate the BO system.

If you're leasing, the BO makes more sense because you are only paying for 40% of it (where you'd have to pay 100% of a custom install). If you're buying longer term, I'd go custom if you want the best.
Damn, you brought me back to the past with this post. I had the JL 12W7 with the High Output Red and Black custom box in my Maxima, about 10 years ago, connected to the 1000w mono class D JL amp. WOWWW, people thought I had 4 subs in the back, when they saw just 1, their head popped off. lol, You know what I mean, right?

I think the JL 10W7 would be perfect in the X5, especially if its hidden somewhere.
Appreciate 0