View Single Post
      12-25-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
jonboyglx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by domi1976 View Post
Just a quick introduction...I've been driving BMW's for several years, going from from 320d and 318d touring, 318d, 418d gc and now finally the X5 40e.
In the beginning all was good, now after 16 miles the gearbox is acting up.
Even full electric when I put the gearbox in drive, it waits a second before it moves. On petrol I push the accelerator, revs go up to 2000 rpm, but the car does not move. After 1 second, it moves forward. It also happens in reverse.
Very annoying behavior.
Went to the BMW dealership, and they did an update and did a reset of the gearbox. After that reset, it felt a little bit better, but after a while (few weeks) this behavior returned.
BMW claims it's due to the adaptive gearbox software. They won't fix the problem because if they can't see an error on their diagnostic software, they are not allowed to address the issue.
Shifting gears (automatic) is not smooth, and vibrates around 2000 rpm.
Has anyone had the same problems ? And how was it solved ?
I would think it's the mechatronic, because the X5 40e does not have a torque converter anymore (replaced by the electro motor).
Thanks guys for helping me out on this one :-)
I have a 40e as well and on rare occasions I will have a hard shift. Doesn't matter if in EV or not. Happens so rare that it's not some thing I can bring to dealer about.

I think based on what you wrote, I see the same behavior with the transmission. I do not notice lag; when I step on the gas the car goes right away. However what I do notice is the car behaves like it's a manual transmission in that when I step on the gas, it acts like someone is riding the clutch. The engine will rev higher and then when the sensation that the clutch is not being pressed, the rpms will drop to normal. The experience is smooth generally but I just assume it's the behavior for this car with this power train. This only happens only when in first gear..
Appreciate 0