View Single Post
      11-25-2013, 03:28 AM   #311
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Well my order is going in today, so I'm posting the new configuration with some justification for the options (to remind myself why I'm poor come Jan/Feb next year lol)

Order placed in the UK, production is scheduled to start December with a delivery date sometime Jan/Feb:

3.0d MSport, Carbon Black, Ivory White/Black Nevada

Comfort Seats - Mandatory, I have them in the F11 and they make short/long journeys a pleasure

Active Security Package: Dynamic Safety, Ext Folding and auto dimming mirrors, Lane Change Warning System - Had BLIS on a range rover and liked it, its a good safety feature. While looking over my shoulder I'm not looking forward, so that has to help.

Driving Assistant Plus with ACC + Traffic Jam Assistant - Mandatory. The 2nd best feature on my F11, it makes monotonous journeys easier, and stressful (bad weather) journeys safer. The TJA can only help that.

ConnectedDrive - sure they didn't used to charge for this, but half the iDrive systems depend on it so no choice but to order I guess

Harmon Kardon - It's a big expensive car, it needs a decent sound system

Pano Glass sunroof - Not mandatory but improves the daily ambience, and the kids will love it.

Sun protection glass - for the kids

Third Row Seating - for the kids/grandparents for trips to the coast

Adaptive Headlights with HBA - Loving the look of the new adaptive high beam select technology. I found the previous gen HBA a little slow to respond and often got flashed by people who had been dazzled

Internet - Not really bothered either way, but its that cheap I thought I'd give it a go.

Heated Front Seats - Needed in UK winters

Heated Steering Wheel - Needed in UK winters

Reverse Assist Camera - Only just added this, and hope it doesn't delay the order. I had it on a LR Disco4 and liked it, but Ive never reversed into anything (yet), so how needed is it? That said, its a big car and reversing will be much safer especially with children around.

Comfort Access - not needed at all. Struggled to justify this, but I'm counting this one as a Christmas present Again had it on a LR Disco4 and really liked it, so convenient.

19" alloys - much prefer the looks of the 20" wheels, but £1200 buys me a lot more options. Plus I reckon the ride quality will be more comfortable. The 19" come with All-Season tyres so for the amount of snow we get in the UK, might mean I avoid buying winter tyres. We shall see. If I end up having to buy winter tyres I'll consider the 19" AS wheels a mistake - I may as well have gone 20" summer wheels, and bought some 19" winter wheels later.

Options/Models considered and rejected:
20" alloys - as per 19" comments
SE Dynamic Pack - I prefer the look of the MSport, and its much better value as a package, resale also much higher. Prefer the SE Comfort Suspension, but the adaptive M suspension in comfort mode is fine.
2.5d - PCP residuals suggest the 3.0d will hold its value better, meaning the only real advantage to the 2.0d is a couple of better MPG. Power in the 3.0d is more fun.
Adaptive LED headlights - $1.5k dollars more than Adaptive Xenons with HBA - really not worth it for the amount of night time driving I do. Not even close. Can't say I'm too bothered that they look better either, as I'm in the car most of the time and don't see the lights.
Universal Remote - already have a remote garage door opener
HUD - I like polarised sunglasses, and can't justify the $1.6k for HUD
Rear Seat Entertainment - $3.5k! How many ipads for that much? I can control each iPad remotely from the front, using BT and an iPhone app called tango remote. Works perfectly - any film or song displayed at any time, pause, rewind, etc.
Towbar - Might be useful for towing the bikes, but can get a bike rack for when that happens
Online Entertainment - I have all the music I need on my fixed iPod
Enhanced BT - struggled with this one. Don't need 2 phones to be connected at once, and SMS/email/Calendar transfer while handy, isn't necessary and may even be distracting. Also concerned they might not work with an iPhone 5 with iOS7. Any other reasons I should include this?
Soft Close Doors - useful for when my oldest doesn't shut the door properly (often), but not $900 useful
Comfort Seats Rear - I think we get these with the 3rd row option?
4 zone Aircon - Useful for the kids, but they will only wind each other up, pressing the buttons trying to freeze each other
TV Function - Only works when stationary and Id rather use my iPhone
Surround View - sorely tempted by this one but its another $800, and I don't have a problem parking, so would be more of a gimmick, albeit one that makes parking easier

Last edited by archivedaccount; 11-25-2013 at 03:50 AM..
Appreciate 0