View Single Post
      07-30-2022, 02:33 PM   #14
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
You mention "at any speed". Our X6 only seems to have this symptom when going up hills. Battery is fine, I have a CTEK - 40-206 MXS 5.0 I use to check and maintain it. I have new plugs and coils, had all typical fluids changed, made sure car has most current software. I can mention this to my independent tech. I don't have an extended warranty, now wishing I did but of course we didn't notice this until our warranty was up.
What I meant by that is the "missing" can appear and disappear at any speed. It would be most noticeable uphill, however a true engine miss would also be most noticeable uphill. The lack of engine codes/check engine light however points more to a transfer case issue then an engine issue as the BMW DME is extremely sensitive to misfires and monitors it constantly. It will pick up misfires long before the human body can sense it, so a misfire you can feel, it will know about and and it will not be long before you get a drivetrain malfunction and check engine light.

An issue with the transfer case is not a engine miss even though it feels like it and you will not receive any warning or check engine light. The most you will get is a shadow code that can only be read if you use ISTA or a foxwell scanner and specifically read the transfer case. Most shops do not do this.

Even if you do not like to work on cars, I highly recommend you take control and invest in a nt530. You can easily test and re-calibrate your transfer case with this scanner plus you can read all codes and know exactly what is going on with your truck. You can also tap into the misfire counters for each cylinder with this tool and see if it is truly a misfire that is somehow not triggering a check engine light or drivetrain error.

It will save you money in the long run, shops will think twice about trying to work you over when they know you can read all the BMW specific codes they can and have a working knowledge of what is going on under the hood. Links below on a useful thread to read up and to the scanner itself.

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1869424

https://www.amazon.com/FOXWELL-NT530.../dp/B07XJZ8GBW
Appreciate 0