View Single Post
      11-04-2017, 09:19 PM   #1
chiplee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

X5 value proposition wasn't there this time.

Our 8 year run of X5 ownership has come to an end, and it's a little sad. We bought both our e70 and F15 new. The e70 was repurchased by BMW for the vanos failure issue, and some of you probably noticed how long our 2015 M-sport X5 sat waiting for a buyer. We just don't have time for either of those exit scenarios at this stage in our life. Despite that, we considered another X5, but the timing is just off with the new body style coming. We even had an awesome deal lined up on a 2017 40e, but we ultimately jumped ship for a 2017 Toyota Land Cruiser. So much of the car buying decision is personal that I won't even begin to go through the factors that swayed us, but suffice it to say the LC feels like slipping under a warm blanket. I've had a lifelong love affair with 4x4 Toyotas, so it was probably only a matter of time 'til I migrated back this way. I suppose I should have always optioned my X5's with adaptive suspension if I wanted a smooth ride, but there's just so much more to it than that. Changing vehicles is tedious where we live; two dealers in town and everything else is 2hrs away. I considered just keeping the X5 and upgrading the warranty, but a short extension was $6k. I was able to upgrade my warranty on the LC to Platinum bumper to bumper coverage for 10yr/100k miles for $2600. LC is pricey, ($87,500 MSRP in our config) and yet the value proposition was there due to assured longevity and easily 5-10 years of owned outright bulletproof reliability. LC very well may be the last "heirloom vehicle," something your kids will fight over when you're dead like a "Saddleback Leather" bag or something. As I say good bye for now I guess I just want you all to know it wasn't for an Acura or a Volvo, but for an icon, a true off road legend, and to go a totally different direction for a while. X5 is an urban warrior we enjoyed very much, but we live in a very rural, very rough area, and it was time for some insulation. I'm keeping my F80 M3.

Last edited by chiplee; 11-04-2017 at 11:53 PM..
Appreciate 6
retx117.00
deutsch1003946.50
pokerface431.50
iconoclast7265.50