02-20-2017, 07:11 AM   #33
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thawke View Post
The car has exceeded expectations, definitely.

I didn't expect the car to handle the way it does but feels more planted than you'd expect from something that large, and when you stick it into Sports mode...... oh my god does it shift, the throttle response is sharper, the steering tightens up and the car feels like a sports saloon.

Wasn't expecting the acceleration from the Diesel (I got the xDrive40d (318BHP)) to be quite as much as I thought ... but it shifts, and the power just keeps coming....so I would love to see what your M50d will do, I am absolutely certain you will love it.

It's also so quiet inside (with the windows closed) considering you normally hear the clackety clack of a diesel engine in other cars.

The Multifunctional Cockpit (think its called Digital Cockpit now on the new configurator) is also so nice to use, especially when it changes according to which mode you're in, so I would highly recommend that to anyone if they were still ordering one.

Took it down some windy lanes in the country, took it on the Motorway, it just glides effortlessly and feels like whatever speed you're doing, it can still go up another level for whatever reason (quick overtake, etc...)

They have also really outdone themselves with the interior, not sure if that's because I am used to a 1-series before, but I have had Audis and Mercedes cars in the last 5 years and this is a whole new level of interior.

Currently ordered a Dashcam for it, as I felt so vulnerable when driving around seeing some of the idiotic driving that seems ot be prevailing on our roads these days, so that should arrive tomorrow when I install it, then I'll be more comfortable driving about, but yeah, very happy with the car so far.

My one downside is that I get so paranoid leaving it in carparks now (Supermarkets etc..) as I am so worried about it being keyed, or having scuffs due to people going into and out of parking spaces next to me, so my food shopping habits have resorted to late night shopping at 24hour supermarkets to have lots of empty spaces to park it into with no one around me to cause any problems

That's about it really, keep coming up with all sorts of excuses with the missues to go out, I am sure she may start to think I'm having an affair
That's great to hear that you are enjoying the ride.
What's your mpg as that's my only concern when I get mine?
With your new dashcam how are you going to connect yours up to power? I don't particularly what wires daggling down from mine.
Good write up by the way.