View Single Post
      02-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #34
Thawke
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M240i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M50D View Post
That's great to hear that you are enjoying the ride.
What's your mpg as that's my only concern when I get mine?
With your new dashcam how are you going to connect yours up to power? I don't particularly what wires daggling down from mine.
Good write up by the way.
The MPG so far is around the 30's on average, but I'm running in the engine so varying the rev's and every now and then giving it some wellie up till 3.5K RPM then holding back again.

Such a pain having to do this for the next 1200 miles, but the ritual has (touch wood) kept my engines trouble free for the last 10 years or so.

The Dashcam is in, wire went into the Rear view mirror housing, then up to the headliner and around the edge of the car - all hidden - into the socket in the trunk, can take some photos if you're interested but took me 10 mins all in all was no bother.

You could wire it up to the fuse box etc... but I don't really want to tamper with any of that and much prefer leaving the car as untouched as possible (so didn't remove any trim or anything) all the cabling fitted nicely by just pushing it under trim or under the door surrounds.

Only want it recording whilst driving, not fussed about parking, so the socket in the trunk is ideal as it will hardly ever be used for anything else.

Power goes out after about 8 mins (didn't count but roughly) after you lock the car and walk away so no risk of draining the battery.

Ordered: 2024 BMW M240i XDrive
Current: 2020 BMW X6 Xdrive40i M Sport
Previous: 2020 Porsche Cayman S
Previous: 2017 BMW X6 Xdrive40d M Sport
Appreciate 0