02-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #35
X5M50D
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X7 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thawke View Post
The MPG so far is around the 30's on average, but I'm running in the engine so varying the rev's and every now and then giving it some wellie up till 3.5K RPM then holding back again.

Such a pain having to do this for the next 1200 miles, but the ritual has (touch wood) kept my engines trouble free for the last 10 years or so.

The Dashcam is in, wire went into the Rear view mirror housing, then up to the headliner and around the edge of the car - all hidden - into the socket in the trunk, can take some photos if you're interested but took me 10 mins all in all was no bother.

You could wire it up to the fuse box etc... but I don't really want to tamper with any of that and much prefer leaving the car as untouched as possible (so didn't remove any trim or anything) all the cabling fitted nicely by just pushing it under trim or under the door surrounds.

Only want it recording whilst driving, not fussed about parking, so the socket in the trunk is ideal as it will hardly ever be used for anything else.

Power goes out after about 8 mins (didn't count but roughly) after you lock the car and walk away so no risk of draining the battery.
Photos would be great to see where you have hidden the cable
What length cable did you use as my existing cable must be around 2m long?
Cheers