View Single Post
      02-03-2015, 11:24 AM   #85
paicapo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F15 X5 M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
I think an attitude of "I haven't heard of a tune company yet that sell a tune whit a setting that will bust the car." is very dangerous. I spent over 10 years fixing cars for exactly that reason.

No doubt the US version is de-tuned for emissions but that does not mean you can flip a switch and safely turn up the power with a chip. And certainly not with an ECU that has millions of lines of code and the dozens of sensors. This is exactly like stating, put a bigger exhaust on the car and it will run better because an engine is really a big air pump. Change one thing upstream or downstream from your alteration and it affects everything. Trivia question: on a 3.6 boxer fuel injected (not DI) turbo motor, which size header diameter is most appropriate - 1 1/4 in, 1 1/2 in, or 1 3/4 inch?

You are right in that the turbo will probably not break, but the constant pounding of igniting fuel on top of the piston over time will damage bearing, rings and the piston itself. For example, just changing the amount of fuel vs the temp of the incoming air will make a profound difference in performance and engine longevity. Most, and I mean most, bolt-in tuners simply add fuel and maybe timing (spark or fuel). That's not a smart strategy on today's engines and you can expect long term problems if dialed to the max. Sometimes, relying on the CEL to catch the problem is too late. I once tuned a gas turbo motor with knock sensors to avoid detonation at high rpm. According to the log, within ~1.8 seconds, I burned holes in 3 of 6 cylinders and trashed 4 pistons - that fast. Then the CEL lit up.

This is why I checked on RC for so many weeks - spoke to them, researched them, found out if they had warranties anywhere, asked how they tuned (NOT IDEAL !!) and so on. I will not turn my tune all the way up - I own the car and plan to keep it.

If you see you are using oil a bit faster than normal in the coming months, you now have a probable idea why.
Ok thanks for the tip, will check the oil consumption for early warning. The quote; "I haven't heard of a tune company yet that sell a tune whit a setting that will bust the car." was a bit immature, what a meant is that I trust the guys at RC that I have been talking to in regards of the settings but caution is for shure the best way to go.