02-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #99
opasha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CERS 1 View Post
Crazy!!!!

To me its crazy that the RaceChip or similar piggy back can cause that much damage based on settings that are put into consumers hands. Would these examples have be the result of an ignored CEL over a long period of time?

I mean seriously, if A/F mix is way off or IAT2's are too high, the ECU should be able to retard timing or override settings for preservation purposes. The throw a CEL to call for attention.

I mean that's one way to scare everyone into a $2,500 Dinan tune!
As paicapo said, 42pilot wasn't referring to our specific tunes for causing that issue in those pics. That was from something else. He was just showing you, if you abuse your car too much, it will suffer. Same concept for the human body-- If an athlete takes performance enhancing drugs that increase his metabolism and heart rate to very high levels, his heart will end up working too hard causing a heart attack or some other injury. The point of his post is to say that we should always tread carefully as we tune or do anything that makes the engine/other parts work harder. There is always a safe threshold and then beyond that aside from your driving dynamics, etc.