View Single Post
      02-04-2015, 08:21 PM   #103
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CERS 1 View Post
Never intended for false rumors to start. Seemed innocuous when I posted it, but perhaps I should have put j/k after the Dinan tune comment. Or perhaps I should have asked if I missed something in the post. I saw the "S1/S2 comment and detonation in the same sentence" and off I went typing.

BTW, I’m awaiting my Race Chip Ultimate for my 50i so I’m certainly not knocking a piggy back tune as far as $:HP ratio's are concerned.

I’m glad you posted and that our motors are so resilient. Once I re-read I see you referenced “like S1/S2” not to say that it was S1/S2 settings. My mistake. Whew… needed a flame suit for that one.

Anyway, since you are a SME how much room do the stock parts have for mods? For example, say injector duty?

As I understand it (…and I know I’ll get corrected if I’m wrong) the RaceChip enhances the fuel map as a means to make more power. Even at the aggressive settings, which are placed in the hands of consumers, is there risk/evidence of maxing the duty cycle or running overly rich, etc..?
How much room do the stock parts have? Good question - I don't know.

RC modifies the signal from the fuel rail to the ECU. The modified signal then tells the injectors when to open (fuel timing) and the amount to inject (volume). I think if you turn up the tune and continually romp on the car, you will eventually damage the engine - purely my opinion. If you own a diesel, be careful about turning up the timing from recommended, as this creates the most stress but also delivers the most torque. Everything in moderation and this is no exception.