View Single Post
      04-18-2024, 11:51 AM   #7866
Dan B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i xDrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
I'm in agreement with most of your post but.
"750 mile range and 10 minute charge" The physics behind this don't work. I for one would not want to be around any battery that was charged at a rate that would fulfill that EV prophecy. (BOOM) That said if a safe battery was used and the battery weight was reduced I think a lot of folks would have no issue with with a EV as a second vehicle and maybe their primary vehicle with home charging. I also think a properly designed hybrid will find a large market. Not the pseudo EV with a gas engine being peddled by most companies. I would most likely buy one of those.
Please provide a reference for why you say it won't work. No offense and I am making an assumption (with all the possible pitfalls understood) that the Toyota engineers are not speaking out of their ass. They have working prototypes that have not blown up and killed them.

Here is an interesting paper from 2 years ago that talks about charging rates, lifecycle, safety etc..

https://seas.harvard.edu/news/2022/0...rs-solid-state

Also, equivalent density SS batteries weigh about 1/3 of a Li-Ion. That will make a difference in efficiency and safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
I read this and it's very interesting, but you can see they have the cost labeled as TBD for their solid states. It's NOT going to be inexpensive or a cheaper option. That's not how technology works. The way I see it, we're several generations away from EV's truly being able to replace ICE. You need the claimed capabilities of the solid state batteries, but at prices *cheaper* than today because most cannot even afford EV's. They're a tough sell and will continue to be.
I agree, early tech is always more expensive. You have to pay to be an early adopter. When the technology becomes mainstream prices typically normalize.
Appreciate 2