02-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #56
AlphaM
THE UNTOUCHABLE
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2022 IX 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexecutioner View Post
There is a problem with either the front door hinge alignment or the panels in my X5 that causes the very corners of the doors to rub against the body when the door opens. The tolerance is very tight on both sides, but if you take a look at both of the doors top views, you can clearly see the driver side door protrudes a bit and it is not flush with the rest of the body as is on the passenger side. The paint chip is more pronounced on the driver side.

Both of them have the marks, however there is a significant difference between the two, the driver side being more pronounced.

While I don’t mind having the paint touched up, I am afraid that even a new additional thin coat of paint will rub and peel off over and over again becoming a never ending problem leaving that area exposed to the elements which is not good thing. This leads me to think that the hinge or bracket the door sits on needs to be adjusted in order to match the way the passenger door is. I ignore if there are additional ways of modifying the fit or clearance the door has.

The bothersome part is that I took the car to the dealership and they seemed shocked by the news. They didn’t really know what to do, or how to adjust it. They said that they’d rather not adjust the panels above the front wheels (which BTW are plastic, and according to the SA are designed to expand and contract with temperature fluctuations) because those would be signs of the car having body work done and would lower its resale value.

While I was at the service department one of the SA saw that another X5 parked in front of mine had the exact same issue on both front doors.

Since they don’t have an in-house body shop, the SA offered to mail me some touch-up paint, which I have not received after more than 2 weeks, and could have bought online myself. I know that it is pointless to touch it up since it will most likely peel off again, especially as the weather gets warmer and the panels “expand”, but I guess I have to go through the motions.

The SA has not returned my emails, or my calls, and this is getting frustrating. For those of you living in the Los Angeles area, do you have a reliable dealer with a decent service department so I can take this problem to before contacting BMWNA?

I am including some photos of my actual vehicle and a stock one to show the location of this problem in case some of you want to check your own cars for this issue, as I have seen more X5’s with this problem.

Your feedback is appreciated.
HAD THE EXACT SAME ISSUE. REASON IS THAT THE FENDERS ARE TOO INWARDS. WENT TO BMW DEALERSHIP AND THEY MOVED THE FENDERS OUTWARDS BY A HAIR AND ALL WAS FINE. JUST AN ASSEMBLY ISSUE...
Appreciate 1