08-20-2017, 05:52 AM   #16
lowlevelhell
Herr Oberst
Rep
Drives: '15 F15, '16 G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1000 View Post
Hello,

I am planning on getting a 2014-2015 X5 M Sport 50i for my daily driver and occasional Texas to Colorado snowboard trips. In fact, have one under deposit, but then started reading more about the suspension options, and learned that M Sport package in the US is mostly cosmetic.

It seems most come with stock suspension and people seem to have strong opinions about it. I do not want the American SUV experience, loose and all over the places. Also some people report that stock suspension was inducing motion sickness.

Is a car without the M adaptive or DHP something you should just stay away from given my needs? I have a car for the weekends to blow off the steam, and I don't expect the X5 to handle like a sports car, it is heavy and high.

So, could I get objective comments on this please. Resale value with stock suspension and what would you compare it to in terms of ride quality with stock suspension. Getting motion sickness?

I drove a Toyota 4runner SR5 to Colorado last winter, and that did not want to keep a lane in turns, hated it. So, is the X5 gonna suffer from same issues without the suspension upgrades?

I am coming off an Infiniti Fx35 and always loved the way it handled.
Don't believe the hype from the guys who didn't pay for DHP and want you to believe M Adaptive gives you "sport car handling" in an X5. It doesn't. And for resale, you won't see much if anything of out M Adaptive. It's a $900 option to begin with. Buy the one with the features that matter more...the things you'll use every day. 99% of the folks on here who fap over their "Adaptive" suspension drive down boring-ass roads to their jobs every day. If you're on the fence, get better creature comforts for the money.

The reality is that M Adaptive and DHP are a world apart (as the price indicates). Don't agonize over the details. You nailed it that the X5 is heavy and high. Folks around here tend to go down the HURR DURR BUT BODY ROLL line of thinking for various reasons, with little understanding of the effect it has on handling overall. Anyone who's driven a newer Miata knows that the MX5 can hold a corner better than nearly anything under $200k and Mazda didn't waste a second engineering body roll out of it. In fact, they relish it for the camber effects.

All that is to say...don't sweat it either way. It's not worth the mental energy. Find the car that fits your price and keeps you happy, and move on to bigger issues. Happy motoring.
P111590.00