View Single Post
      08-21-2018, 01:22 PM   #76
RPBMWX5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 3.5I

My install experience and advice...

Find the post from LJX*****N Feb, 2014 that lists out steps 1- 10. Those steps are great, however, I would like to add the following:

You should strive to remove the shiny chrome outerpiece (frame?) first, and then the actual grill piece. The tabs for the chrome frame piece were easier to get to and work with, because they are bigger and they move easily.

So, start from the top, then sides, then bottom. Press each of the tabs inward. Use something non-scratching (rubber kitchen spatula?) to keep the whole bumper out while you work. Also something to keep the chrome piece pried out so it doesn't go clicking back into place. Don't worry if you break one or two of these tabs, unless you plan to re-use the original piece.

Once the silly chrome frame piece is off and out of the way, you can then see the little grey plastic tabs holding the rest of the grill to the vehicle's bumper. These tabs are much more sturdy and smaller then the other tabs, and I can see why they cause so many problems. So, use a flat head screw driver to press the tabs. Access the tabs both from the front of the grill and from behind the grill with the screwdriver. You have to kind of work the tabs loose from both sides. Have someone applying gentle pressure pulling the grill while you press the tabs outward, so you know when each tab has been freed. Be patient here... don't pull the grill too hard or get too aggressive with the screwdriver that you may harm the vehicle bumper's plastic piece that the tabs go into.. you will need those in good condition for the new grill to fit and seat properly.

All in all.. about 30 minutes, moderate difficulty, for a non-mechanical person. And worth it! The new black grills are beautiful.. they match the other black grill pieces throughout the bumper in the front much better then the silver stock grill.

Here are the LH and RH BMW OEM part numbers for our 2018 X5 F15 3.5
51 71 2 334 708
51 71 2 334 710
Attached Images

Appreciate 0