TheGermanTroll
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 eDrive40e

Garage List
2016 Xdrive40e  [10.00]
Thumbs up xDrive40e - 800 Mile Update

Just turned my xDrive40e over the 800 mile barrier and thought I would give my thoughts on the drive and performance.

First and foremost, the drive is amazing. So damn quiet and smooth. Two great reasons to appreciate BMW and their dedication to quality.

The hybrid engine makes things interesting. Yes, there is the 20 mile range which I am able to 50 or 52 miles on average with strategic driving. Knowing when to coast and how to manage the battery is crucial for long trips or anything passed the daily short commute.

In town, the hybrid motor cannot be beat. Fill-ups are a rarity and a blessing. But again. knowing how to manage the battery is the name of the game.

The hybrid motor does have some concerns though. From start to stop on a hill or flat surface there is hesitation and you can feel the engine 'catch' to move the vehicle. While this is slight, it is noticeable. Charging takes 7 hrs on average when battery is 85% depleted with the provided Level One charger. Of course, I can buy the BMW i-Charging Station but for $1k, it is not practical.

Overall performance of the Twin Turbo 4 is beautiful. People talk about the weight of the vehicle but I do not notice it one bit. The ride is fast, stable and agile. Sport mode is hard to resist on a wide open road. To date, I hit a top speed of 124 mph on a closed track.

Like many other X5 owners my left exhaust has the black soot issue. A daily cleaning is needed to keep it looking smooth.

That about sums up my 800 mile review. Would I buy the 40e if I had to do it all over again? In a heartbeat.

TR
Appreciate 1