View Single Post
      07-06-2014, 12:04 AM   #169
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrbo95gst View Post
Why would it if it simply bumps up the boost, which 40d and 50d is already running in stock form with the same exact block.

Fuel economy is hard to figure out because with the increased power and torque my foot became much heavier all of a sudden. Drivability wise, it drives like stock and I am seeing a mixed of 26.3 mpg right now in the US.

Now sure about your last question, but people here wreck twin turbo Lamborghinis and have no issues with insurance coverage.
I just bought this tune and since there is a 14 day trial, I am going to try to figure out what they are doing. It is not a matter of just turning up the boost. And if it is, we are all being screwed since this is one SIMPLE component to the tune.

I suspect that the piggy-back chip changes the fueling (fuel timing) to get the torque up and the boost to help with HP. These two strategies, if not following the 40d mapping correctly, can shorten the life of your motor for sure. Even though a diesel needs heat to work, too much heat (by injecting fuel too soon or too late during the compression cycle, then adding a couple of PSI on the boost) will kill a diesel quick.

You can only compare 35d motor with the 40d and not the 50d since that motor has different internals to handle the power and power application. For example, turbo, injectors (size), valve timing, head stud size, oil cooler and radiator cooler size, etc. The 35d seems to be a de-tuned 40d motor, but in reality that makes no sense. Why do it? Especially in a country (US) where HP is the rage. Yes, they are the same displacement, compression ratio and both are made on the same assembly line in Austria, but the fact is we don't know the real details. Can it be as simple as a tune?

Dinan might eventually make a tune for the X5, but I don't think there is a big enough group of X5 35d owners in the US, who would fork over +$2000 cash for a tune that would have to be installed by a dealer or authorized shop. If they do, then Dinan has a lot of faith in the motor and a lot of faith in the US public buying a BMW diesel SUV, because of the development costs. If they haven't done it yet, I wouldn't hold my breath. I used to take me a couple of months to tune a car from scratch because you had to take into consideration everything - cold engine, cool engine, hot engine, altitude, RPM, boost, fueling, and on and on.

Anyway, when I install it, I am going to TRY to look at parameters like oil and water temps as well as EGT temps through the OBD port. If these move from stock levels, I will probably send it back. I bought the car (not lease) and I need it to last a long time.