Mick_87
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440i xDrive, 2022 X7 40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 40i  [10.00]
2019 BMW X5 50i  [10.00]
Advice on making x5m OK for ski season

Just got a 2017 X5 M... its pretty sweet. Had it about a month now. I traded my 16’ X3 35i M Sport, also pretty sweet but man this car is like driving a race car to work every day.

When I went to the dealership I intended to get just the 50i but all the only one they had was white and for a littttle more... Well the reason I wanted the 50i is because it comes w/ all season tires..the x3 had summer tires (20s), in the rush of getting this amazing new car I didn’t even think that it would also come with summer tires (I know I know stupid).

Seen lots of posts on here about the winter/summer tire issue w/ this car, seems the solution often suggested is to get a set of winter rims and winter tires and switch them out 2x yr. I live in San Francisco so space is limited (and not cheap). This isn’t a practical option...also I am kinda cheap too. Is there really no other option? The only tires that fit this car on Tire Rack are the summer ones (1800 bucks...i thought they would be cheaper than the X3 because they are not run flats).

My X5M has the 20” staggered rims. Am i crazy or is there no other option than to purchase the rims? Another stupid question i know - can I not just put chains on it if summer tires are the only option?

Finally one more question Seems that the roof rack made by BMW isn’t available for the X5M - they make it for the X5 but not the M. Does anyone know if the non-M cross bars will fit? I saw the car is an inch wider... Anyone recommend an option cheaper than what Thule sells?

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0