10-14-2016, 06:10 PM   #49
HZX540e
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnaz View Post
I think you need to make sure the tint doesn't have any metallic or other UV-blocking materials. You need to get the basic tint with nothing added.

Even if you go with 3M make sure you get the Color Stable instead of the higher end tint that they offer as those will show a different hue under reflection. On my X6 I have the Color Stable 35% which is a perfect match. However, in the other tint thread it seems like owners of X5 say their tints are darker than the X6/X5M/X6M.

3M Color Stable come in these %s. Have them use a tint meter to measure the rear window as well as the front window. For my X6 the rear was about 31% and the front clear window was about 79%. Multiply the tint light transmission % to your window's light transmission % to get the final result. So if you look at the 3M chart you'll notice that 3M Color Stable 35 is actually not 35% light transmission but rather 39%. For my car, .39 * .79 = .31, which matches the rears % perfectly.

If you're looking for 3M film, Z-Tech uses 3M and they have several locations. That's where I got mine done.

I have a 2016 X5 40e, with privacy glass in the back whatever that means. When we measured the back windows they were at 15% and the front was 76% so I got a 20% 3M color stabilizer in the front and it is a perfect match from the outside. From the inside, the rear windows are clearer with brown color and the fronts are a little less clear with grayish color, I guess that is expected and as a driver I will not be looking through the back and front windows at the same time. Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0