07-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #12
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by och View Post
I have 4 BMWs and I absolutely loathe their turn signals. In a normal car I can easily check if my turn signals are on or off by feeling the turn signal switch, but in BMWs it always returns to center, so I have to either look at the dash or listen for the clicking sounds. But that doesn't always work because when driving I like to bring the steering wheel all the way down, and being a taller person, the steering wheel blocks the upper portion of the instrument cluster where the blinkers are. And if I have music on, I can't hear the clicking. Am I alone in this?
By your description, your seating position is wrong, then. If you put your hands in the '9-3' position, they should be more or less at the same height as your shoulders. Doesn't matter if a person is short or tall. Here's how to do it the right way.

And you forget after a few seconds whether the turn signals are on/off? Weird.

Self-centering turn signals are better because, at least in my own experience, they require less hand movement to engage. One finger does it all. I prefer it this way and never have I thought the system is confusing.

FYI, BMW is now moving back to the old-style column stalks. G30 has them already.