12-30-2021, 06:05 PM   #55
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankerbry View Post
Hey guys.
I just wanted to give you an update. I just heard from the BMW dealership and engine does need to be replaced. Their initial determination is that is started on top and was the result of having an aftermarket oil filter. ? My wife and I just bought this vehicle 1500 miles ago from a large reputable dealer in Denver. Obviously we purchased the car as it is, and the oil filter was either installed by them or they did not do the pre sale inspection as they stated. I've reached out to the dealership for some form of goodwill, but it doesn't look good.
To add salt to the wound it sounds like BMW is going to use this fact to deny any assistance.
The scary part is that the dealer told me that they just had a 2020 X5M in with a blown engine due to the oil filter.
I'm not sure if this all makes sense to me, so please feel free to provide any feedback or suggestions.
To be very honest, I am absolutely sick about the whole thing. I don't think anyone would feel okay about having to put an additional $30k into their used vehicle!!
Thanks
Not surprised they are trying to wiggle their way out of this, 35K isn't pocket change. Find out what brand of filter was in it. Not that many manufactures make this filter so chances are it is a MANN, WIX (WIX is a division of MANN and the filters are identical), or MAHLE. All are OEM suppliers for BMW.

Now it is possible they did something stupid like install the filter upside down, it is not hard to do with the design of the oil filter used in the S63TU.

I would still demand they check out the oil pump sprocket and chain and show you pics or let you inspect yourself. They will most likely be dicks and charge you the labor if they don't find anything but it shouldn't cost more then a few hundred and worth the gamble IMHO.

At the end of the day, if they end up screwing you and refuse to do anything and you don't feel like going into litigation, the best bet would to have your engine rebuilt by one of the popular BMW tuners and have it built with aftermarket rods and pistons. Even if you are not into tuning, you can easily get back most of your investment when it comes time to sell your X5 as most would pay extra for a freshly built bullet-proof S63TU. Expect to pay around 10K for a stock rebuild from a tuner like RK Autowerks, 15-20K for a aftermarket rod/piston rebuild depending on all you do to it. Plus around 3K for removal and install of the engines from a Indie shop. Basically if BMW screws you, you can replace the engine yourself for less then half of what BMW will charge you.

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 12-30-2021 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 5
9vapors651.50
slow_roll109.00
ggunn9160.00
Mandinca120.50