United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d, 2008 Lexus IS-F

Garage List
For everyone's situational awareness,

I EMAILED: Customer Relations & Services
-GOT FORWARDED TO: BMW Assist Customer Care
-GOT FURTHER FORWARDED TO: BMW Customer Care

I was inquiring about if BMW had a plan for the AT&T 3G shutdown for our vehicles with non 4G service scheduled to happen in 2022.

What I was told (after waiting for a while, while they researched the info) is that BMW has not discussed this and they are not aware of anyone losing Connected Drive services for the year 2022. However, they did tell me that if this is going to happen that they will send a letter to all the owners of 3G vehicles prior to the 3G shutdown and give them 1 year to do the retrofit to 4G or newer technology. Anyone that does not do it would have to come out of pocket after the retrofit period ends. I was also assured that BMW will not leave us 3G cars hanging on this shutdown similar to how they provided a retrofit period for their 2G serviced vehicles.

I know that most of us knew this was BMWs most likely course of action but I am just surprised that this has not hit their radar. This tells me that not many people or even maybe no one has inquired BMW about this. So for all you 3G vehicle owners, maybe you'd want to write a quick email to BMW so that we can get this concern on their radar. It's coming and there is no reason they cannot update our systems sooner than later if we get enough people to show a concern about it 🤷🏽

Just wanted to share this bit of information.
Appreciate 5