08-28-2014, 11:50 AM   #17
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy07 View Post
Well said. You get Sport + mode, that's the only driving difference M sport provides. I don't remember the last time I ever use sport + and paddles on my previous BMWs. As for sport seats, you can't even select this on 50i and multi contour seats are superior. All X5 comes with the same excellent 8 speed transmission.

Like I said, M sport is really just a matter of aesthetics, at least in US.
Respectfully, you're still missing a couple of points though:

First, on anything except your 50i, the MC seats are not standard. So the sport seats are in fact a big upgrade for everyone with anything less than a 50i, unless they're paying extra for the MC seats. I do agree the MC's are better, but that's irrelevant to the conversation unless the conversation (as you seem to be taking it) is only in regards to 50i's.

Second, the Sport + does give you the dynamic traction control, whether that's useful or not depends on the buyer…

Third - "All X5 comes with the same excellent 8 speed transmission." simply not true. Yes it's the same mechanical transmission, but the Sport Auto that comes with M Sport has different programming for faster, more fluid shifts. It is different than the standard 8AT, and certainly changes how the car drives. Also gives you the paddles which are not purely aesthetic. Again, whether or not they're useful depends on the driver… but they're not just for show.

M sport is called M sport not ///M for a reason. It is in no way a major performance upgrade like a true M car and is mostly aesthetic. But it DOES offer some actual upgrades beyond the aesthetics as well. I don't know if you have the Sport Auto on your F15 or not, but I would recommend driving a no line with its 18" wheels and bubbly tires, standard transmission and standard seats before you assume these upgrades are just aesthetic (and you can't see the software upgrades in the sport auto, so it can't be aesthetic ).

Last edited by chrisny; 08-28-2014 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0