Rep
Drives: X-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
Quote:
Up on the lift. Removed the 3M double sided tape and installed with betalink adhesives.
Now you've got me scared. I just installed mine a couple days ago using 3M VHB. Why did you change?
Well to be totally honest, When I first got the front splitter lip I didn't want to use betalink adhesives because it would be permanently on the front bumper and seeing how the front carbon fiber lips do easily get damaged I was afraid that it would cost me more to remove the old and replace with a new lip. With the double-sided tape I can remove it easily and replace it with a new one if needed.

The 3M double sided tape seems to hold well during local drives and lower speeds when I used to live/commute local roads daily. I've since moved quite a few miles away from my job and my commute is mostly highway speeds (80+ mph). It appears that my front lip is taking a lot of downforce from the winds ( this tells me the front lip is actually functional ) and the tape is just not holding up to the tremendous force. I started seeing gaps and the lip moves freely in some parts. So I decided to have it properly installed using the betalink adhesives to hold up to the downforce from high speeds.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotzy View Post
Quote:
Up on the lift. Removed the 3M double sided tape and installed with betalink adhesives.
Now you've got me scared. I just installed mine a couple days ago using 3M VHB. Why did you change?
Well to be totally honest, When I first got the front splitter lip I didn't want to use betalink adhesives because it would be permanently on the front bumper and seeing how the front carbon fiber lips do easily get damaged I was afraid that it would cost me more to remove the old and replace with a new lip. With the double-sided tape I can remove it easily and replace it with a new one if needed.

The 3M double sided tape seems to hold well during local drives and lower speeds when I used to live/commute local roads daily. I've since moved quite a few miles away from my job and my commute is mostly highway speeds (80+ mph). It appears that my front lip is taking a lot of downforce from the winds ( this tells me the front lip is actually functional ) and the tape is just not holding up to the tremendous force. I started seeing gaps and the lip moves freely in some parts. So I decided to have it properly installed using the betalink adhesives to hold up to the downforce from high speeds.

Thanks for this. I plan on doing the same. I travel 100 miles per day at speeds of 70 mph plus. Also if there is any damage to the lip and the bumper had to be replaced I would think you could make an insurance claim and just pay the deductible
Appreciate 0