Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opplock1 View Post
Just finished with the dyno runs, but I'll leave you with this much for now:

Ran on the rear wheels only on 4th gear(I'll explain why later)

Base:
259.86 hp @3835rpm
409.05 lbft @2735rpm

Racechip E/2 setting:
296.95 hp @3852rpm
473.31 lbft @2802rpm

Ran on dynapack, corrected at SAE J1349(2004) (whatever that means?)

I will post my chart and go through the entire dyno process later today.
I also obtained all the raw data in .txt and will put it into excel and generate a chart.

Orange is the base line, blue is E/0, purples E/1 and teal is E/2. As you can tell e/2 made a huge difference.

FYI, the guy running the car was in disbelief and had me remove the Racechip after the runs to do another base line. It was consistent with the first 3 base lines.

Nice.

The only thing I take from this is that RC is pretty damn close to their published claim that their base setting is 18%-20% increase over stock. It also indicates that each increase in the setting is about 1.5% increase in output, based on the two additional settings shown. For me, this is the most important piece of information on this post.

As for the horsepower and torque numbers, I am not going to argue the validity. We would all like to believe BMW under-rates their engines, but they don't and these numbers are highly suspect. In any event, the dyno did exactly as Opplock1 wanted - it validated the chip's effectiveness/performance improvement. For this, I appreciate you spending the time and money, then sharing this with all of us, complete with charts. The chip shows a consistent improvement across the RPM range for the diesel.

The SAE J1349(2004) is a protocol for testing HP and torque (google it). What you probably won't get on google are all the conditions the protocol calls for when testing (about a 20+ page document). For example, it goes down to fuel temp, fuel rail temp and pressure, EGT and so on. Only Opplock1 can tell us if this was used in the calculation factor. If they didn't, then the HP/Torque numbers are just numbers. But again, they performed a before and after test on a chip and that was successful in my opinion.

For your info, BMW (and most other major manufacturers) subscribes to the above protocol (newer version) and they certify their results through a third party. This means their results must be consistent within 1% of their engine production for each model engine, including attached accessories, but not transmission. Therefore, the power BMW advertises is at the crank, on an engine stand, at the factory under extreme controls and supervision.
Every BMW i've owned feels significantly more powerful after 1000-1500 miles are on it vs when its new. I wonder if they dyno differently new vs broken in. My F10 M5 felt like it gained close to 100hp when it hit 1000 miles. My X5 35d felt a lot stronger after 1500 miles. So they are testing and rating new engines. Once broken in they all feel stronger to me.
Appreciate 0