View Single Post
      01-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #57
42pilot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 35d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray knight View Post
Every BMW i've owned feels significantly more powerful after 1000-1500 miles are on it vs when its new. I wonder if they dyno differently new vs broken in. My F10 M5 felt like it gained close to 100hp when it hit 1000 miles. My X5 35d felt a lot stronger after 1500 miles. So they are testing and rating new engines. Once broken in they all feel stronger to me.
You felt 100hp more? That's something like a 20% gain? Then your motor was delivered to you running on 6 cylinders and it must have magically turned on the other two...

But seriously, you shouldn't feel a thing or something is wrong.

Why would you think breaking in would result in better power? What do you think is going on inside your engine?

At the same time, I used to unplug all the power to my Powerstroke Ford diesel engine overnight which discharged the ECU. This would get the ECU to learn my type of driving all over again which would affect things like throttle response, but not more power. Nothing physically happens to our cars after break in to provide a noticeable increase in performance.