01-12-2015, 02:29 AM   #59
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40D 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42pilot View Post
You felt 100hp more? That's something like a 20% gain? Then your motor was delivered to you running on 6 cylinders and it must have magically turned on the other two...

But seriously, you shouldn't feel a thing or something is wrong.

Why would you think breaking in would result in better power? What do you think is going on inside your engine?

At the same time, I used to unplug all the power to my Powerstroke Ford diesel engine overnight which discharged the ECU. This would get the ECU to learn my type of driving all over again which would affect things like throttle response, but not more power. Nothing physically happens to our cars after break in to provide a noticeable increase in performance.

I have been driving diesel cars since 2004 - and all from new.
Brands have been Toyota (4) and since 2011 BMW (X3 F25 20D and X5 E7 30D).
I have actually on all felt the engine 'opening up' when cars passed around 10.000km. This on both the Toyotas and the BMW's. It feels like the car gains more HP - but not in the 20% level, but enough so you can feel it. I have been told that modern diesels are somehow coded to deliver less power until the engine has done some thousands (up to 10K) km, but not sure if it is a story or not.
Appreciate 0