Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 C43 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshanny View Post
I decided to trade in my X5 35i for a 35d because I am planning to do more towing and I am able to get a really great deal on the 35d with a fair price for my 35i. I am confident that the 35d will work better for me, but I am going back and forth on whether to order the DDC/self-leveling air rear suspension option, or just stick with standard suspension and save a few dollars. I am ordering the car in X Line trim, so M sport is not really on the table and I don't want to pay $4,500 for the DHP package.

I will be towing an open aluminum car trailer loaded with a Porsche GT4 on it. Total combined weight of the trailer and Porsche is around 4,300 lbs. My 35i did not have self-leveling and seemed to do okay towing the same trailer and car, but was somewhat under-powered on hills and the rear did sag moderately when trailer was attached.

I just wanted to request opinions on self-leveling from those who have owned an X5 with that option, especially from those who have used it to tow. I am concerned mainly with the reliability aspect of the system, but also want to get opinions on whether it really provides a notIceable benefit when towing. Lastly I want to hear how it impacts handling compared with the standard suspension.

The reliability issue is on my mind because if it breaks while towing, I may need to have both the X5 and the trailer rescued and I might be far from home.
From my understanding DHP will help quite a bit with the towing load from what I've read and improves comfort of the car significantly.