View Single Post
      02-24-2017, 06:42 AM   #5
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

First question is why do you care which device the iPad connects to?

Second, we just had this discussion in the geek er computer/gaming subforum. I despise the use of extenders/repeaters. And no, with the use of an extender, you have absolutely no control over which one a wireless client will associate. A system which has APs operating as one logical system is the only way to have control over which APs wireless clients associate to. The best systems for this are made by companies such as Aerohive, Ubiquiti, Aruba Networks, Meraki, etc. An acceptable solution are the crop of systems from Google and Eero. These systems use wireless mesh to form up the connectivity between APs with one of the APs connected into a wired connection. I don't like most implementations of wireless mesh which I've stated in those other threads in the computer/gaming subforum. But what I like about these wireless mesh systems is that all APs operate together with intelligence. You don't get this at all with extenders/repeaters nor if you stand up another independent AP or wireless router configured to broadcast the same SSID.
Appreciate 0