Harman Kardon

Status
9/10/14 Production # provided by dealer
9/19/14 Production started; VIN provided by dealer
9/26/14 Production completed; awaiting carrier per 800 #
9/30/14 Released to carrier; awaiting transport to "port of exit" per 800#
10/3/14 "At port; awaiting vessel; no other info." per 800#
10/13/14 Unchanged
**Thanks to everyone for posting in this, and so many other, threads. You were all very helpful to my option selections and giving me a good sense of what to expect on the production/delivery timing and pricing.

Hopefully my update will be of some use to folks ordering soon:

10/15/14 In transit per 800 #; car to be at dealer in 2 days per dealer
10/17/14 Car delivered.

Total: 37 days from order to delivery in Norcal. Only 29 days from production start to delivery - which seems more meaningful since total timeframe in impacted by production slots available to a particular dealer.

I have driven 75 miles today. A few first impressions:

The xDrive35i has ample power. I'm not a stoplight racer but this car moves really well from a standing start. Entering freeways, I was at 75 mph when I first looked to see if I had hit 65. The 50i which I test drove is quicker of course but the difference for my purposes didn't merit the extra $8K or so (accounting for options that become standard when getting the 50i). I also drove the 35d which has a very pleasing sound during acceleration. But I was more impressed with the response of the 35i when headed for the highway which is a lot of my driving. This is all personal preference, so please take no offense all of you that are happy with your choices.

Dynamic handling…wow. My test drive vehicles were not ZDH equipped so I took a bit of a flyer on this option. I felt these test drive cars were a little marshmallowy, but perhaps not unexpected given X5's height and weight. The ZDH-optioned X5 however is surprising. A lot closer to my E39 M5 than a non ZDH-optioned X5. I'm not kidding. Significantly improved agility in corners. MUCH less pitching/yaw. A lot smoother over the ever-growing number of potholes here in Norcal. I have a lot more assertive driving to do before I can finalize my opinion but initial impressions are really good.

Sparkling brown: it's pretty in the direct sunlight. Meh otherwise. Looks almost black at twilight. For the X5, it was a choice of imperial blue or brown but I have three blue cars so I went with Brown. Sure wish I could have picked from red or green or copper or anything not monochrome without having to resort to X5M or Land Rover.

Nappa leather is beautiful. I've noticed more than a few vehicles with impressions/indentations in the leather that made it look like it wasn't stretched and/or sewn to my satisfaction. perhaps I was lucky to get really nice fitted seating (all three rows). Smooth and comfortable. I love the multi-contoured look.

I debated between the 449s which come with the xLine package and the optional 451s. But I drive into snow a few times each year so I went with the 19s to avoid hassling with seasonal change-out and I don't regret it as the orbit grey's look fantastic. Really attractive wheels.

Fineline pure wood. I give this one a miss. I've had that in enough cars with the glossy trim, so while I like the matte look, this particular trim does look a bit plastic-y. i would probably be happier with aluminum. So try to see it first before you order.

Harman Kardon is nice. Better than many stock systems i've heard. Not as good as others. But fairly priced I'd say. I'm sure the B&O (or aftermarket) is the way to go if crisp, clean audio is very important to you.

The rest of my car's build - keyless entry, running boards, backup camera, rear window shades - look/work as they should. no big deal.

Good luck, enjoy yours and thanks again for everybody's help on the board.
Appreciate 0