View Single Post
      08-16-2021, 02:50 PM   #14
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktree View Post
Yeah I looked on tis. And it mainly said to support the engine, remove shield pan underneath, and remove the mount bracket first, then remove the mount.
I suppose a jack could be used to hold engine up while changing mounts
It could. I'd recommend top support as it gives more room under the vehicle for access. On the E53 I used an engine support bar (harbor freight) and on the E70 I used an engine hoist to support/lift (also harbor freight) the engine. The E70 has plastic fenders so a traditional engine support cross bar doesn't work. BMW makes a specific bar for the E70 that I'm sure costs a bunch of money so I went with the engine hoist. Also used jacks for the subframe and it's manipulation. Luckily, in your case, the N55 doesn't require subframe dropping and thus an alignment.

Name:  Motor Mounts 10.jpg
Views: 5139
Size:  1,002.2 KB

Name:  Transmission Replacement 06.jpg
Views: 5318
Size:  1.00 MB

As an aside, that harbor freight engine lift has put in work. Used it on these two vehicles, our E61, to replace an E36 engine, replace a Mk IV Supra engine, and numerous other things. It's about 10 years old now and refuses to die. Though it does drop down over the course of 24 hours if left alone.
Appreciate 0