View Single Post
      01-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #9
in867
Lateral G
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i; 20 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretariat View Post
OP, what exactly to you plan to accomplish with a test drive? I find it hysterical that people buy or lease a vehicle based on a test drive. If the dealer is going to give you the car to test for a week than I can understand, but that will not happen. If you have the means to purchase an X5M then I suggest you get it. You will not be disappointed. The ride can be a little harsh when in sport+ and it takes off like a bat out of hell when you get on it. It handles very well. The seats are very comfortable even in long drives with herniated discs in your lower back. There I just test drove it for you.
Good stuff Secretariat

Not trying to toot my horn but since you brought it up, I probably do more research on one car purchase than an average person does for all the cars they buy in a lifetime. But there comes a limit to what you glean from reading or watching reviews and message board posts. I mean, we're talking about a six figure car purchase here, not coffee from Amazon or a $25 bottle of wine.

I guess what I look for in a test drive are a few different things:

1. How EXACTLY does it feel while cornering - both at a hard and moderate pace? (Yes, I try to give the salesman the ride of the year in a test drive)

2. How does the suspension feel on the roads on my typical commute?

3. How do the seats fit my body?

4. What does the driving position feel like?

5. How pronounced is the turbo lag?

6. Most importantly - is the car FUN and can I live with it for a DD? (I compare fun with my old E90 M3)

Thanks for the good suggestions everyone, I'm going to try calling around the local dealers to see if they have any used F85s or F86s I can take for an extended drive. Maybe I'll give an unsuspecting sales guy a mild heart attack.
Appreciate 0